If we're being totally honest here, last night's Rams game in L.A. was an L on the schedule. You know it and I know it. Yes, it would've been nice to start the season 2-0, but let's face it: after getting embarrassed by the 49ers on opening week in Melbourne, you had to know that Sean McVay was going to have his team ready to play the Giants. In fact, I believe I said as much in an earlier piece:
"You can bet the ranch Sean McVay will have his team ready by Monday," I wrote. Damn, I'm good.
But no way in hell I saw this coming. Eight days after playing their most inspired game in a decade, they turned in their worst performance since a 40-0 drubbing at the hands of the Cowboys at MetLife Stadium in 2023. Not only did the Rams win 28-6, they knocked Jaxson Dart, Malik Nabers, Brian Burns and Andrew Thomas out of the game.
You can count the number of things the Jints did right in this game on one hand and still have a pinky left over. How bad was it? Punter Jordan Stout and safety Jevon Holland were the only stars for New York. Stout had six punts for an average of 52.5 yards, while Holland had an interception and a forced fumble that he recovered at the Rams 11 yard line.
In a nutshell, the Giants couldn't throw the ball; couldn't run the ball; couldn't pass block; couldn't run block; with the exception of one Rams possession couldn't generate a pass rush; and their secondary couldn't cover a kitchen table. Other than that, everything was peachy keen. In eight days they went from a prince to a frog. I could've sworn I saw Brian Daboll on the sidelines.
And as if things weren't bad enough, the injury to Dart, which was initially thought to be an MCL sprain, appears to be far more serious. Ian Rapoport is reporting that after getting an MRI, the second-year QB may need season-ending surgery. If that's true, the Giants season may have ended.
Unless of course you think Jameis Winston is capable of stepping in and taking over the reigns for this team. Based on what we witnessed last night, the jury is out. Winston looked totally unprepared, going 11/27 for 111 yards with no touchdowns and one interception. How inept was the offense with him on the field? Davante Adams had 195 yards for the Rams; the entire Giants team managed 182.
It's reasonable to assume Winston will improve his level of play in his next start. After all, he was exceptional against the Lions in Detroit last season that had the Giants played any kind of defense would've resulted in a win. But he's also the same quarterback who in 2019 led the NFL in passing yards and interceptions. So anything is possible.
That means John Harbaugh and Joe Schoen will have some decisions to make. Do they shore up the QB position via trade or do they ride out the season with Winston and hope for the best? That all depends on what happens over the next two weeks. The Giants host the Tennessee Titans this coming Sunday and the Arizona Cardinals the following Sunday. Even without Dart, both are winnable games. If Winston plays well and the Giants are 3-1 going into week five, I could see Harbaugh and Schoen standing pat. But should they be 2-2 or, God forbid, 1-3, and Winston plays terrible, all options are on the table. After enduring the worst period of football since the 1970s, I don't think the fanbase can stand another lost season.
The sad thing is they may not have any choice.

No comments:
Post a Comment